Monday 23 August 2010

More green, anyone?

Following on from my green Malaysian baked pudding of sorts a couple of weeks ago, I decided I was going to try to make some more green edibles from my homeland. One of my friends actually made this for me last week (thanks Bee!) and introduced me to the recipe. This is Kueh Dadar – it is a pandan and coconut flavoured pancake filled with a sweet coconut mixture.



The recipe can be found here.

I substituted dessicated coconut for the grated coconut in the recipe. I also didn’t have any palm sugar (gula melaka) in my store cupboard. Instead I used dark brown soft sugar (I used this one).

I didn’t have fresh pandan / screwpine leaves so I used the same paste I used beforefor my Kueh Bakar. I think it worked out rather well. The crepes are made from a pancake batter made with coconut milk and pandan essence. There’s no sugar in the batter. The coconut filling was rich and sweet, making it the perfect filling for the fragrant crepes.



This is a surprisingly easy Malaysian kueh to make. And it is very yummy indeed.

Have a great week ahead friends.

3 comments:

  1. I have frozen pandan leaves and a small stash of gula melaka still =P Do you want some? Where do you get pandan paste here!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph. Nice to see you here. Thanks for the offer but I'm OK for supplies. The dark brown sugar actually worked out pretty good and I still have a reasonable amount of pandan paste left. My mum bought the pandan paste for me from Malaysia. I have not seen it here although you can get little bottles of pandan extract from online Thai food shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the colour of your food, but then...lime green has always been my favourite colour!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.